Tuesday, February 20, 2007

No News Is Now News!

Remember the old adage, "No news is good news"? Well, I guess in this age of journalistic competition and the industry's integrity void, it's been amended to "No news is news!"

The AP sent out a story today that was picked up by the website for The Detroit News. If you wish, you can view it here. This is what it says:


Late Late Show doesn't mock Spears

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Craig Ferguson decided not to poke fun at Britney Spears for at least one night.
The host of CBS' "The Late Late Show" told viewers Monday that after seeing photos of the 25-year-old pop star's shaved head, he reconsidered making jokes at the expense of the "vulnerable."
Spears made headlines over the weekend when she shaved her head at a Los Angeles hair salon and then went to a tattoo parlor where she had a pair of lips put on her wrist. Spears shaved her head Friday, the same day as reports on TV and Web sites that she had briefly checked into a rehabilitation center.
"For me, comedy should have a certain amount of joy in it," Ferguson said. "It should be about attacking the powerful - the politicians, the Trumps, the blowhards - going after them. We shouldn't be attacking the vulnerable."
Ferguson recalled his battle with alcoholism and said he worries Spears may be having troubles of her own.
"Now I'm not saying Britney is alcoholic, I don't know what she is - alcoholic or not - but she clearly needs help," he said.


(Yeah, I know I probably violating some copyright law by "republishing" this article. Tough.)

It must have been a really, really slow news day, or it's now acceptable to report on things that simply DIDN'T happen! I especially love that part of this story could also be titled, "Craig Ferguson does not say Britney is alcoholic!" Obviously this could lead to a tremendous amount of absurdity, so much that I'm not even going to provide the hundreds of examples that are running through my head at the moment.

I was kidding in an earlier post when I said the news of the day was:

This Just In - Anna Nicole Smith STILL Dead!

Maybe I was actually being prophetic! I sure hope not.

No comments: