Saturday, February 2, 2008

I Really Don't Get 50 Cent


There's a brief article in a recent Time Magazine about the possible use of steroids by Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson. I don't really care much about that. If he wants to bulk up, then fine. Of course there are probably millions of impressionable youth out there who will want to emulate his look, but that's fodder for a different rant.

What I don't get is the silly, laughable "look" of 50 Cent. I know I'm not anywhere close to his demographic and I'm very distant from his culture, but he just looks like a sorry parody of someone's lame idea of inner-city cool. Is it really appealing to drop the pants down to show the white boxers? And what's with the skullcap and tilted Yankees cap? It looks so calculated to be "hip" - but it's just lame. I know a lot of people think he is the most iconic representation of their style, but I can't do anything but laugh at how silly he looks.

Sorry, I don't get it. Never will. Not sure I want to.

No comments: